Start up

is our business


If you own an offshore company and wish to set up a division in Australia, or a new Australian business and need to hire specialised staff efficiently, we are here to support you through the process.

We have years of experience in assisting overseas and newly established businesses expand into the Australian market, using immigration as a platform to support their highly talented overseas staff.

  • Compliance Monitoring

  • Sponsorship

  • Subclass 400

  • Subclass 600

  • Subclass 482

  • Subclass 494

Compliance + monitoring

Businesses must meet their obligations under the term of the agreement when applying to become a Standard Business Sponsor (482) or Temporary Activity Sponsor (403, 407, 408). It is important to ensure that the company maintains its compliance obligations and notifiable updates to the department to ensure that you maintain your Sponsorship status. It is important to ensure that these notifiable events are provided to the Department promptly and that any potential issues that you face are managed quickly. Our team can support your business in providing you with a full understanding of the obligations and supporting you with a process to manage your compliance obligations. Please contact our team today to discuss

Sponsorship - Standard Business Sponsorship Agreement

There are two type of sponsorship subject to your business needs that includes:
  • Standard Business Sponsorship for subclass 482 or;
  • Temporary Activity Sponsorship for subclass 403, 407 and 408
To sponsor a worker the business must:
  • be a lawfully operating business
  • demonstrate it is financially stable
  • have no relevant adverse information against your business
  • Australian businesses must also demonstrate their commitment to employing local labour as well as non-discriminatory recruitment practices
For fuller details, please contact one of our team today

Subclass 400 - Temporary Work (Short-Stay Activity) Visa

The short stay activity visa allows the visa applicant to enter Australia to:

  • Undertake highly specialised work or;
  • Participate in an event or events on a non-ongoing basis at the invitation of an Australian organisation

Conditions include:

  • The work must be non-ongoing
  • The visa is automatically for 3 months stay although a maximum term of 6 months, can be provided if the applicant can demonstrate the need.
  • The visa is activated upon arrival in Australia, so it is important that the start date for the project is close to the arrival date

Overseas employers can remain to manage all payroll and business expenses during the short-term assignment

Subclass 600 - Visitor Visa - Business Stream

Visitors from eligible countries can apply to travel to Australia for business through the subclass 651 (eVisitor visa)

This is a temporary visa and it is granted for 12 months, with a stay for up to 3 months at a time. The visa term is activated on arrival.

For those business visitors that cannot access the eVisitor visa, you can look at subclass 600 under the Business Visitor Stream. This is a temporary visa and it might grant it for up to 12 months. You can enter Australia at any time while your visa is valid and stay for up to 3 months.

Both visas for business visits permit the following:

  • make general business or employment enquiries
  • investigate, negotiate, enter into or review a business contract
  • conduct activities as part of an official government visit
  • take part in a conference, trade fair or seminar. The organisers can't pay you to take part

What is not permitted

  • work for or provide services to a business or organisation based in Australia
  • sell goods or services directly to the public

If you want to do short-term work in Australia that isn't a business visitor activity, consider applying for a temporary work visa

Subclass 482 - Temporary Skilled Shortage Visa

This is the most commonly used employer sponsored visa for skilled employment. The Temporary Skilled Shortage visa subclass 482, or also known as the TSS Visa allows skilled workers to come to Australia and work for an approved business. The visa applicant must be sponsored by an approved business. A business can sponsor someone for this visa if they cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the skilled work. You can be in or outside Australia when you lodge your application which allows you to:
  • work in Australia for your sponsored employer
  • bring your family to work or study in Australia
Visa validity is based against the type of occupation that you are nominated under. There are two occupation streams for the subclass 482 visa;
  1. Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) provides up to a 4 year visa with an option to go onto Permanent Residency in the future
  2. Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) provides up to 2 year visa with one extension for another 2 years
The occupation lists can be found in the following link The visa applicant must:
  • have been nominated by an approved Australian employer
  • be offered employment under a signed contract and be paid a market rate salary for the position
  • meet the skills, qualifications, English language requirements (unless exempt), character and health

Subclass 494 - Skilled Regional Visa (Temporary)

This visa enables regional employers to address identified labour shortages within their region by sponsoring skilled workers where employers can't source an appropriately skilled Australian worker

The company must be an approved Standard Business Sponsor to be able to access this visa program which allows an overseas applicant to:

  • work in Australia for the sponsoring employer
  • bring their family to work or study in Australia

The visa conditions allow for:

  • the visa applicant to be restricted to live, work and study only in designated regional areas of Australia for 5 years
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid
  • if eligible, apply for permanent residence after 3 years from the time the visa is granted

If eligible, the visa holder can apply for permanent residence holding a subclass 494 visa for 3 years.

Unless the visa holder has held a subclass 494 visa for more than 3 years, they are unable to:

  • Make a valid application for a subclass 820 (Partner) visa or;
  • Be granted any of the following visas:
  • Subclass 132 (Business Talent)
  • Subclass 186 (Employer Nomination Scheme)
  • Subclass 188 (Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional))
  • Subclass 189 (Skilled (Independent))
  • Subclass 190 (Skilled (Nominated))
  • Subclass 858 (Distinguished talent)